Monday, April 11, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake (Pops)

I was lucky enough to get to yoga  last week, given a lot of orchestration to feed N. near my studio so she wouldn't need me for a while.  We began class again this time with a chant to Ganesha, remover of obstacles.  The chant itself is a wonderful balance of rooted sounds that come from your throat and sounds that are lifted through the top of your head, creating a better balance of energy.

The focus of the class was on lifting prana--energy--up ... not getting caught up in what drags us down, but lifting up our breath so as to maintain better balance, appreciating what we have, rather than worrying about what we think we need ... and in doing so, perhaps realizing that we have what we need after all.  And honestly, maybe this is the kick in the ass that I need.  It's easy to play the victim, but I do have some power to exercise, even if it's the power to make the change I've been thinking about anyway. Maybe I do have what I need.

I had some leftover matcha powder from the biscotti and wanted to make something fun.  Cake pops are all the rage these days, so I thought I'd give them a whirl.  Next time I will probably add more binder to make smoother balls (most people use frosting; I've used a simple syrup here because the cake is already quite moist) and I'll know to let the extra candy melt drip off before sticking the stick end into a styrofoam block to let the pops dry.

As I munched on them I channeled the serenity and balance of green tea, and told myself if I there was no bread, I'd let myself eat cake.  :)

Green Tea Cake Pops

1/2 c. plain or vanilla soy yogurt
2/3 c. almond milk
1/4 t. vanilla
1/3 c. canola oil
1/2 t. almond extract
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
3-4 t. Matcha powder
1/4 t. salt
vanilla flavored syrup (the kind you'd put in coffee; I used Sta.rbucks sugar free)
vanilla candy melts (available in craft stores that have a candymaking section, or use white chocolate, but the shell will be more prone to melting)
lollipop sticks (available in craft stores that have a candymaking section)

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk yogurt, almond milk, vanilla, oil, and almond extract to blend. Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, matcha powder, salt and sugar and fold into batter. Pour into a 9' pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool thoroughly.

Crumble the cake into a bowl, and add about 12 squirts of the syrup. Work the crumbs with your fingers until you have a pliable "dough" that you can shape into balls (you may need another squirt or two of syrup). You may want to refrigerate the dough for about 20 minutes here to make it more workable.  Roll out the balls about 1" in diameter and refrigerate for 20 minutes or so.

Melt the candy melts according to the package directions. Dip one end of a lollipop stick into the candy melts and stick it into the cake ball. Put the balls in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up, and then twirl them in the remaining melted candy. Put them in a styrofoam block to dry (I didn't do this, so mine came out flat on the bottom).

You can freeze these if you need to ... but they may not last that long!
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are getting so beat up at work. It's so draining isn't it. Sometimes it isn't enough to know in your heart that you've done a good job, you want others to achnowledge it too. Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sorry you're having such difficulty at work. I've had my share of terrible bosses in the past, which is why I prefer to work just for myself these days. (of course, I could prove to be the worst boss of them all!) I love your variation on the cake pop recipe and hope to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, sorry for the work stress, that definitely sucks! The cake pops look amazing, making me hungry looking at them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awful meeting. It must be so disheartening after all the years you have put into building up the programme to have someone new coming in and pushing you and others around.

    But they can never take your fantastic ability to make and eat cake away from you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuck. I'm so sorry. You must feel very disheartened at the way that they're treating you. It's so frustrating to pour your heart and soul into something, only to be shuffled around and unappreciated.

    Those cake pops look amazing...I hope they brightened up your day a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that must have been a horrible meeting. You really don't deserve to be treated like that and it is most unfair. I had a similar situation in my previous job and I left. It was hard for a while but I am really happy where I am now!

    I firmly believe you DO have everything you need to change. You've been longing to do something different, you have all the skills and support you need; so when the time is right - go for it.

    And cake pops - yum! Have you seen that site? The incredible cake pop lady? Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would have felt the same way, except decidedly leaning towards the furious side of things. How demoralizing! I'm just sorry you've been treated this way. I hope things end up working out for you, even if it means a change of pace or job or situation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That work situation is lame-o. I can imagine you are a wonderful employee. I hope it works out how you would like it to.

    These look yummy. I will have to try them. My little G LOVES, LOVES sweets and I love cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. stupid work. you DESERVE cake after a meeting like that! i hope that you find a solution to the work drama that leaves you in a better place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...