Sunday, July 26, 2020

Ingenuity, Zoom Faux Pas, and Chicken Lettuce Wraps


My daughter was bored.

To her credit, she is has been a real trooper this summer. After the stay-at-home order was imposed in NJ she has seen almost no friends in person since March (except at a playdate in the park wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart), she's had very little camp (except for two half-day weeks of dance camp, with a mask, dancing outside, six feet apart), and both of her parents are still working full time, albeit remotely. She reads incessantly, she cooks every once in a while, and she plays with her dolls, but as someone who thrives on social interaction, she's been starved.

And it's not like the boring summers of our own youth, that still involved friends and swimming holes and trips to the library ... this is really just boring.

So when she decided that she was going to start making clothes for her Barbie dolls out of balloons, we were fully supportive. My husband even ordered balloons. Anything to keep her busy.

You can imagine what these clothes look like.

Spandex. Very, very revealing spandex.

This has been making us all laugh, and so when I was talking with a friend on a zoom call over lunch the other day, I thought I'd share it as a parting image. So I'm describing this, and we're both laughing, and she says "Streetwalker Barbie!" and we're both STILL laughing when I realize that ... my student appointment has just joined us from London.

Because I forgot to re-enable the waiting room.

(We both stop laughing, wide-eyed, and she disappears hastily from my screen while I try to recover myself in time to have a serious advising conversation.)

What's your most embarrassing zoom moment?

Here's something my daughter made, NOT using balloons, based on a recipe that her principal made and shared via the morning video announcements back when she was in school. He is by far the coolest principal I know.



Mr. Friedrich’s Lettuce Wraps

4 t. extra virgin olive oil
1 c.chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
2 carrots, shredded
1 t. grated fresh ginger
2/3 c. sweet chili sauce
¼ c. low sodium soy sauce
8 cloves garlic minced
Big spoonful peanut butter
1 head lettuce
1 c. finely chopped cabbage
1 lb chopped boneless skinless chicken breast

Heat the pan, add the oil. Add the chicken, garlic and onion and stir until cooked. Add salt and pepper, stir. Add the ginger, carrots, and cabbage and keep stirring to cook.

In a separate bowl combine sweet chili sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce. Stir until smooth. Add the sauce to the pan, stir to combine. Then add the cilantro.Spoon into lettuce and enjoy!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. The best was the look on his face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in his shoes once ... I got sent a link to a meeting that was already in progress instead of a 1-1 meeting with my colleague. It was sort of mortifying! XD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...