Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Care Ring and Murgh Keema

My church has a Caring Committee, which I co-chair. Last week, there was a flurry of messages and requests from folks around the very quick decline and (and unfortunate passing) of an involved and committed church member; she was admitted to the hospital for jaundice, came home with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and was gone in a matter of days. She was a vibrant, creative soul, and it was heartbreaking and hard in so many ways for so many people in the fellowship. And selfishly, it didn't do much to make me feel better about feeling dismissed by doctors.

The Caring Committee is meant to be the Casserole Brigade, a temporary support system of regional Care Rings that activate when people are sick, or when there's been a loss, or when people need a grocery delivery or a ride: when people have an acute material need. Helping people to make decisions to get hospice care and getting them connected to the right resources are, unfortunately, out of our wheelhouse. But that's what people really seemed to want us to do, as her friends surrounded her, were stepping in to give her a sponge bath or other personal care. I spent a good part of the week trying to be clear about what the Care Ring could (e.g. remove snow and ice) and couldn't (e.g. call the social worker) do, reminding her friends that they also needed to tend to their own hearts and that even the most loving of friends can't be expected to do these things. I tried to let people know that there were going to be other opportunities to help, that there was a village, that one person didn't need to go rushing in and feel like no one else was there. I tried to help them understand that we needed to empower her and her husband to make difficult and painful decisions that maybe we didn't agree with. Or even to empower them not to decide.

Despite all that, while I felt like it wasn't fair to ask her friends to do those things, I also know that I would want a friend group like that if I knew I didn't have much longer to live. And when we learned she was gone, I know they were glad to have done these last things for her.

The other morning, seeing a photo post from one of those friends of a group of women eating and being silly and just enjoying each others' company, I confess I felt sad and lonely. I don't have a group like this, a group that I hang out with or go on adventures with or even eat a meal with when I'm not with my family. This is probably in part because I work full time and have chosen to prioritize my kids and cooking and things like that when I am home. I don't work hard at group friendship, I've never joined any of the covenant groups in my church (which are effectively social connections with a spiritual common ground). But it's also because I've just never really figured that kind of thing out. And sometimes, on the darker days, I wonder who will be there, besides my husband, if I ever need it. Maybe the Caring Committee will bring a casserole. But also maybe not. Because they didn't when I broke my foot in March 2020, or when I concussed myself in October 2020, or while I have been freaking out about my health over the past month. Then again, COVID. So no one was bringing casseroles anywhere. And ... I didn't ask them to.

I realized this morning that maybe the 300 pound gorilla sitting on my chest making me contemplate my own mortality is probably not just my own health stuff but also my body remembering February, which is my month of multiple pregnancy losses and the complicated loss of my father, as well as my daughter's birthday. So there's that. But still.

No Kidding in NZ posted the other day about needing a bigger support network. I couldn't agree more; if the pandemic has shown us anything, it's that we desperately need each other. I don't think that those of us who have children can take that care for granted, because we can't rely on our children to be our caretakers, especially if they need care, too. And the larger village is out there if we think about it. Sometimes it's just hard to remember who they are because we're not used to asking for help.

On that note, I called my endocrinologist on Friday, after some encouragement from Mel. He took my call right away, between patients, without me needing to leave a message, and said that it was clear that something is wrong, and it's just a matter of finding out what. He proceeded to order a ton more blood tests, so I left another few pints at the lab this morning. Which gave me some hope, at least, that maybe someone can help me figure out what the hell is going on with this crazy body of mine. 

And I go to the cardiologist on Wednesday to follow up on my two ER visits, but they called me yesterday morning. Apparently my two week heart monitor has shown ventricular tachycardia (the reason I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like my heart is pounding? is because it actually is pounding, at a lively 163 BPM). So I get to start taking beta blockers. Except that means I can't take the only thing that has made me sleep since my concussion in October 2020. Heart attack or insomnia from hell? I get to choose.

If I have to go on some kind of special diet, that will really curtail the bringing of casseroles.

Go give your Care Ring some love today.

Murgh Keema (or Turkey and Peas)
This is a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking that I make often at home, and that the kids really like. It's the sort of easy to digest meal that I might bring over to a friend who isn't vegetarian. If you're vegan, you could definitely use Impossible if you're into that, or probably even tofu crumbles ... if you do that, let me know how it goes.)

3 T. vegetable oil
cinnamon stick
4-5 cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 t. peeled, finely grated ginger
1 1/4 lb. ground chicken or turkey
8 oz. fresh or frozen peas
1/4 t. turmeric
1 t. garam masala
1/4 t. cayenne pepper (optional; we leave this out for my daughter)
1/2 to 3/4 t. salt
2 T. fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a wide pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot add the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves.  Stir for a few seconds.

Add the onion and fry until the pieces brown at the edges. Put in the garlic and stir for a few seconds. Add the ginger and stir for another few seconds.

Add the ground meat and fry and stir until all of the lumps are broken up.

Now add the remaining ingredients.  Stir and mix for another minute before  removing from the heat. Serve with rice, or quinoa, or naan, or whatever makes sense to warm your belly.





Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the endocrinologist is listening. I also think your intuition could be spot on regarding all that "February" means in your body.

    The other thing that I loved about your post is the attention you pay to boundaries for the Care Ring, being clear and intentional with what is and isn't within the purview.

    The Murgh Keema looks delicious. Garam masala is one of my favorite spices.

    I will continue to hold space, Justine. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I am feeling both deeply grateful for and not worthy of the gift of people who will still read and abide with me here ... a different kind of Care Ring. Sitting down to a virtual meal with you, with garam masala included. <3

      Delete
  2. I am so glad he took your call immediately and ordered tests. Something is clearly wrong, and I hope he finds the answers.

    I think a lot of us struggle with the group friendship thing. And to have it means giving up something else. As well as reaching out because these things always look easier and effortless from the outside. It's a lot to unpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for the nudge, Mel. I owe you for that. What Mali said in her follow up is so on point. I am so grateful for the ways that you have been there for me over the years, not in the casserole way, but in so many others. And what we need sometimes is just to be seen and heard and held. <3

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear there’s some progress in diagnosis. But yikes What a choice to make Regarding medication. Should heart symptoms resolve on beta blockers?

    Bodies really do remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart symptoms should get better on beta blockers. But that doesn't mean they've figured out the cause ... which is what drives me bananas. Aren't we more than the sum of our symptoms? GAH. One step at a time. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're being listened to and that you're hearing and honoring your bodily memories. How nice that your church has a Care Ring... do people make requests or does the committee swoop in where they see need? I often offer to go food shopping for friends who are sick and they'll say they can Instacart it... that they'll save my offer for a time they have no other option. I'm guilty of 'Saving" these offers too; perhaps we should just enjoy our networks of caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of "ear to the ground" kind of work that happens, so we find out about a need but then usually the Care Ring calls people to ask if we can help. It's sort of a mix between asking and swooping. But I think you're absolutely right about us all being guilty of "saving" these ... maybe it's helpful to remember that letting people care for us actually reinforces the bonds that we might need later, rather than straining them. <3

      Delete
  5. Reading your last post & this one... I am glad you are making progress towards a diagnosis. I'm sorry no one has brought you a casserole yet, though. I know, even when you do have a network around you, it's hard to ask for help! Sending (((hugs))).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have read your last two posts. I was so irritated that they asked if you were anxious.Any sane person would have been anxious given what you were/are dealing with. So I'm also very glad your have a dr who seems to be on your side. And I'm sure you have a bigger support network than you realise. It's a good point that we all need to remember to ask for help, and to not feel bad about accepting it, or people might stop offering.

    Sending love and hugs, and hoping it is resolved very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even female doctors that ask about anxiety. You'd think they would understand... Thank you for holding space. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...