Saturday, November 13, 2010

On the Bright Side: Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's been a pretty entertaining few days around here.  On Tuesday, our first Hypnobirthing class.  More about that in a minute.  On Wednesday, my glucose test (from which I have no results yet, so I'm still eating under the assumption that I have no GD).  And yesterday afternoon, for reasons we cannot fathom, my brilliant, thoughtful, generally sensible four year old son stuck a bead up his nose at school, resulting in a three hour visit to the ER where they were unable to extract the thing, and a subsequent visit to the ENT today (where they were much more successful, having done this "hundreds of times" said the doctor), effectively killing a day at work.  S. said that someone in our Hypnobirthing class mentioned how they're looking forward to the pregnancy being over so that they can relax ... and while I'll be glad to be out of these particular woods, too, both of us had to laugh.  Honey, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

In our Hypnobirthing class, we were broken into small groups to make lists of the positive things about our pregnancies.  At first, I felt like I didn't have much to contribute.  I started thinking back over the pregnancy, over the tenuous first trimester into the second trimester, constantly expecting this to end.  I thought about how much has gone unsaid between me and S. about this pregnancy and this baby, partly because of the specter of the other pregnancies that have come before it.  I thought about my job, and the current arrangement to replace me while I'm on leave, and implications for what will happen when I finally return.  None of these things seemed terribly positive.

But once the others started talking, I found I had some things to say.  "No AF," said one.  "Being welcomed into the circle of mothers," said another.  "New friends," I added, thinking about the IF blogosphere and other followers here.  That has less to do with pregnancy, but the support I've gotten from readers has definitely been one of the "bright sides" of these past few months.

Hypnobirthing is largely about removing the fear of birth and looking on the "bright side" so that one can relax in childbirth, allowing the body to do what it knows how to do.  I'm hoping that these next few weeks of class help me not only to have a more positive (even if not pain-free) birth experience, but also to be a better parent and person.  Perhaps even to be more calm when my child does something stupid that lands all of us in the ER waiting room.

There's a completely irreverent scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian where they're on the cross, right before the credits begin to roll, singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."  The scene is ironic, because of course the main character in the movie is destined for his demise, but Britons have adopted the song, and it was even sung by the crew of a destroyer during the Falklands War, as they were waiting to be rescued from their sinking ship.  There's definitely power in looking at the "bright side" ... not in being a Pollyanna, mind you (people like that drive me nuts), but in finding the thing that keeps us going during our darkest hours, even if the end of the tunnel is nowhere in sight.

I'm not going to say that baked goods are my "bright side of life," or that my kitchen has pulled me out of despair at any point in my life.  Cookies are only magical in Alice in Wonderland and in Alexander and the Magic Mouse.  But when I think about my reasons for baking--which, most times, have to do with giving people something to smile about, it does sort of relate.  The "bright side," for me, has always been about human connection.  And as I continue to amass the holiday cookie hoard in our freezer, I'm looking forward to sharing these, either on a well-wrapped plate, or over a cup of tea pr hot mulled cider, with a generous side of conversation and companionship, hopefully a little bit closer to a full term, completely relaxed and joyful positive childbirth experience.
 
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 1/4 c. dried cranberries
2/3 c. coarsely chopped white chocolate
orange zest (about one orange, zested)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking soda; stir into butter mixture one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Glad the ENT was able to take care of the bead situation, ah the stories of youth! Your hypnobirthing class sounds wonderful, I've thought about doing that in the future if we get to that point. I definitely want things as natural as possible. So exciting you're getting closer and closer my friend! Thinking of you and hoping things continue smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy week! So sorry about the bead thing... kind of scary, but I guess there isn't all that much damage a bead in your nose could do, even if it never came out.

    I'm so sorry that your IF past has robbed you of the joy of this pregnancy. Maybe the wonderful reminder you just got in your birthing class will change that for the rest of your pregnancy. Rub your belly like a cute naive pregnant lady and smile. She's in there somewhere, and you should try to relish in her every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love reading your posts. They make my day a little brighter. Those cookies look amazing too. I might need to bake this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first, those cookies? I think of all the yummy looking foods you've featured here since I've been a reader those cookies have made my mouth water the most. They look and sound divine.

    Second, my daughter is also a mostly reasonable kid but tonight she decided to do a head dive off the side of the couch - luckily hubby caught her - she said she was trying out a special trick?! I about died from fright. Even the most reasonable kids end up doing unreasonable stuff now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking on the bright side - so hard to do sometimes, but so very important, it's true. Sorry about the bead and the trip to the ER. No fun, no fun at all. Hoping that no news is good news...and NO GD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog! Hypnobirthing sounds interesting. I have a friend who did it. I guess it's something to think about when/if I have a second child. And often, cookies are the best part of my day, too (I don't have any pictures of me on my blog, or you'd see that this is the case).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is going to be sooo super cute I can't even wait. Ahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...