Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Virtual Baby Shower: Cornmeal Crusted Pot Pie

(With apologies for my absence ... I miss you all, but I promise, there is a good post coming soon ... and I've been pretty busy with N. this week.)

When I was in the last few weeks of my pregnancy with N., a wonderful friend organized a virtual baby shower for me.  The virtual gifts of food and love were overwhelming ... and so I'm pleased to participate in one for someone else this week!  I'm hoping I'm not late, but it's on Australia/New Zealand time, so hopefully this will count.

Haidee, may your birthing day be everything you hope for, and may your new adventures with your little one be many.  It won't always be easy, but remember that it takes a village to raise a child, and the village is there ... sometimes you just have to look for it.  All: go give Haidee some blog love!

My contribution to the virtual baby shower is not sweet (because Athena from A Field of Dreams has already contributed Honey Cookies, and I can't top those ...), but it's something that you can put in your freezer to bake for dinner when you're bone-tired and can't imagine how you're going to feed yourself.  We made this pot pie ourselves before N. was born, and froze it ... then one night, enjoyed a wonderful warm pie in just about half an hour.  If I were your neighbor, I would be bringing something like this over during the first few weeks you are home with your new addition.

If you're vegetarian, it's just as easy to substitute the chicken with something else (tofu, tempeh, more vegetables, beans).

Cornmeal Crusted Pot Pie

Crust:

1 c. flour
1/2 c. cornmeal
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
2 T. chopped fresh herbs (sage, parsley, etc.)
5 T. butter cut into small pieces
1 large egg lightly beaten

Filling:

3 T. butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 c. chopped cooked broccoli, drained*
2 1/2 T. flour
3/4 c. broth, heated
1/2 c. cream, half and half, or milk, heated
2 3/4 c. cubed cooked poultry or other
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 t. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
1 T. milk

In a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.  With your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until coarse crumbs form.  Add the egg and stir with a fork until dough forms.  WIth your fingertips, lightly knead the dough until it holds together, 1 minute or so.  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes before rolling.

In a medium skillet, over medium heat, melt 1 T. of butter.  Add onion, celery, carrot.  Cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.  Stir in broccoli and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400.  In a medium saucepan, over medium heat melt remaining 2 T. butter.  Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, until caramel colored.  Gradually add heated broth and cook whisking constantly.  Gradually pour in cream, whisking constantly.  Add vegetables and cooked chicken, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper.  Stir to mix.  Spread into a 9" deep dish pie plate or round 1 quart casserole.

Let dough site a room temperature about 10 minutes.  Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a 10 inch circle.   Cover the filing with the dough and trim edges so that there is a 1/2" overhang.  Lighly press overhand around the outside edge of the pie plate to seal.  Mark edges with the tines of a fork.  With a sharp knife, cut 3 slits in the center of the crust for steam to escape.

Brush the crust with milk.  Plate pie plate on a baking sheet in case of bubble-overs.  Baked until crust is golden and hot, about 30-35 minutes.  Cool 5-10 minutes before serving.


* Feel free to sub in peas, string beans or corn for the broccoli.  You can make the pie and freeze for up to two months in a freezer-proof pie plate.  Thaw in refrigerator overnight before baking as directed.  Alternatively, bake the frozen pie a little longer, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until filling is piping hot and crust is golden.
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Man, if only there was technology to send this to me virtually. I want my 2nd breakfast to be this (OK, 3rd breakfast) NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look so good (and makes me wish I was your neighbor). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really need to proof your posts when I'm reading them half an hour before lunch with a coffee breakfast not doing it for me.
    my bouche is now much less amused than it wants to be. yum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm hungry! I LOVE chicken pot pie! Will definately be attempting this recipe and will let you know how it goes! Thank you for your gift and you lovely words of wisdom and advice, I really appreciate it! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for participating in Haidee's baby shower. Now this recipe I can dive into esp. with my diet restrictions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool idea. I should do a virtual red egg and ginger party for the twins maybe, we'll see, that time frame falls on babe's birthday so thunder might get stolen. Oh well, hope you have a great weekend lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the gorgeous blog award that you gave me recently... I've finally gotten to doing my post to thank you and spread the love especially for ICLWeek :)) Love your recipe from Haidee's Baby Shower... YUM :)) xoxo

    http://newyearmum.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-blog-awards-for-extra-happy-start.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an ingenious way to use the leftover roast chicken and broccoli we've got. Looks comfy and yummy!

    Thanks for your kind comment about my dad. It's getting better every day, since the initial shock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pot pie looks amazing! I love the idea of putting cornmeal in the crust.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...