Friday, June 11, 2010

Coconut Flour Brownies


I am still trying to finish the bag of coconut flour, and was presented with the perfect opportunity tonight; Ian's school is having an open house, and they need baked goods.  And I needed brownies.  (Well, maybe just one brownie.  But you can't really bake one good one at a time.)

Though the other gluten-free baked goods I've tried so far have all been almost a little too moist, here, the moistness was perfect; the brownies were light, but fudgy at the same time.  You could pretty easily make a vegan version of these by using egg replacer (like EnerG) or a half a banana for each egg (if you don't mind a very banana-tasting brownie ... which could be excellent!).

They are particularly delicious when paired with fresh raspberries from, say, the bush in your back yard.  Yes, the berry bonanza has begun!  Every night we go pick some for dessert.  I confess, tonight Ian and I probably ate about a pint between the two of us.  Shameful.  But so, so good.


Coconut Flour Brownies

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1 cup chocolate chips/nuts (optional)

In a saucepan at low heat, blend together butter and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla.  Add cooled cocoa mixture.  Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh man that looks delicious. Though I'm not vegan I love the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's not vegan ... just gluten-free. I have lots of people in my life with food rules. ;)

    Maybe you need a care package. Where's your new house, again? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those brownies look delicious. I will have to try them, I have new food restrictions in my diet and I'm learning how to make things that I love in ways that work with those restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night and agree: they have the perfect balance of fudginess and lightness. Yum! Less coconuty than I thought they'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you remembered that they were here, and that you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made these about 5 times. Everyone that eats them loves them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...