Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Food On the Go: Whole Wheat Oatmeal-Fruit Muffins

The first time I was pregnant, with Ian, I started to think a lot about nutrition.  Though I'd been a pretty healthy eater before, I found myself seeking out more recipes with whole grains, cutting back on refined sugars, and eliminating caffeine entirely (even chocolate, for which I had an aversion during those nine months).  I was lucky enough to be spared morning sickness entirely that first time, but I struggled to eat breakfast more regularly, which wasn't easy for a woman always on the run.

Little did I know then what being on the run really meant.

Now, as I dash out the door with my decaf latte (thank you, new espresso maker, for making milk drinkable), having made the lunches and breakfasts for the rest of the family and gotten Ian dressed and ready for school, I usually grab some fruit for the road.  (Green smoothies just don't do it for me: I gave them a fair shake, but there's something unpleasant to me about the consistency.)  The past two mornings, though, I've been feeling a little queasy, and my stomach clearly wants carbs.

These muffins are a reliable stand-by in my recipe book: I often make them for people I know are on the go, but they're good for just about anyone.  If you make the fruit juice version (and be careful about the labels on your dried fruits), you can avoid refined sugar entirely, and there's plenty of whole grain. They freeze well, so you can bake up a batch and toss one in the microwave in the morning.  If you do happen to be pregnant, you've got something a bit more substantial than saltines to munch on.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal-Fruit Muffins

1  c. whole wheat flour
3/8 c. white grape juice concentrate (or 1/2 c. white/brown sugar if you prefer)
1/4 c. wheat bran (or 2 T. wheat germ and 2 T. wheat bran)
1 1/2  t. baking soda
1  t. ground cinnamon
1/2  t. salt
1 1/2  c. oats (I used regular, but you could also use quick oats)
1/3  c. chopped pitted dates
1/3  c. golden raisins
1/3  c. dried cranberries
1  c. low-fat buttermilk (minus 1.5 T. ... do this if you're using the grape juice)
1/4  c. canola oil
1  t. vanilla extract
1  large egg, lightly beaten
1/2  c. boiling water
Cooking spray

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in oats, dates, raisins, and cranberries. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in boiling water. Let batter stand 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious, and I think I'm going to make them for UO. Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...