Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's Not Just In the Water: Spinach, Black Bean and Corn Burritos

This is really becoming quite ridiculous, people.  What is in the water?  I've just found out that two more of my colleagues are pregnant: one--with twins!--who works in my building, the other who works in another office. Both of them due November/December.  This makes six people at work, two people outside of work.  Granted, I am now part of this happy sorority, but I feel my competitive spirit stirring.  I see other people running the marathon in front of me, and I'm running, too.  I want to finish the race, too, this time.  It's is a twisted way of looking at it, I'm sure, but that's how my brain is wired.  Now you understand why I need yoga.

I've blogged before about the connection between fertility and black beans. Whether or not this is really true is anyone's guess.  But you can be sure that I'm eating my share of the lovely legume, both because it's good vegetarian protein, and because, well, why not?

Last week's CSA share included only 3 heads of lettuce (heaven be praised), arugula, spinach, chard (which got made into a frittata, so I didn't bother blogging about it), kale, and peas.  Ian insisted that I do something different with the greens this week.  No more stir fry, he protested.  Not another frittata.  So I came up with this concoction, involving black beans, which was happily devoured by both Y-chromosomed individuals in our house.  And me.

I suspect you could use just about any mid-flavored greens in place of spinach; this week, I think I'll try it with chard.  Experiment and tell us how it went!


Spinach, Black Bean, and Corn Burritos

2 T. olive oil
1 c. diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 t.cumin
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. oregano
1 lb. tightly-packed chopped fresh spinach (I also tossed in some of the arugula)
1 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. corn
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. water

6 to 8 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
2 ripe avocados, mashed or chopped
Salsa
Greek yogurt
grated cheese (jack or other)

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened but not browned. Add spices and cook a minute or two, then add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add beans, corn, lime juice, salt, and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook at a low simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.(You can mash the beans if you like; I prefer to keep them whole.)

To assemble burritos, heat a skillet over high heat. Place a tortilla in pan and allow to heat for about 30 seconds, then flip and heat 30 seconds on the other side. (Tortillas may also be heated for a minute or so in a 375 degree oven.)

Fill tortillas with the bean mixture and your choice of toppings (cilantro through cheese) . Fold tortilla in on both sides, then fold up the bottom. Lastly, fold down the top and press lightly. The steam from the hot filling with seal the tortilla.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...