Saturday, July 7, 2012

Ya Give me Fever: Cole Slaw

Last night I came down with a fever of 101.  It was sort of a shock; I don't really get sick like that very often, and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty bad at being sick ... because I'm reluctant to slow down and do what my body needs to do to recuperate.  I went to bed uncharacteristically early, at 8 (and then again at 10, because the first time I fell asleep on the couch), and woke up this morning with chills, which persisted throughout the day, giving way to a cough by evening.

You know those billboards that beg you not to go to work when you're sick, so you don't spread the germs?  Well, I'm here to remind you today that it has much less to do with epidemiology than it does with self-care.

Maybe this was a bad month to commit to NaBloPoMo.  But I'll post this tonight, in the interstices of my sleep and waking, and urge you to consume lots of vitamin C, available right now at your local farmer's market in the form of CABBAGE.

This isn't the cole slaw your mother used to make.  But if you can stomach anything  besides dry toast, it's an excellent way to dress up the traditional picnic dish.

Also: this is not a call for condolences.  ;)

Cole Slaw

1 head of cabbage, grated
2-3 large carrots, grated
1/2 c. golden raisins
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1 T. honey
1 T. OJ
1 t. sesame oil

Whisk honey together with rice vinegar.  Add sesame oil.

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. You have my condolences anyway, and some sisterhood since I've also been fighting a fever (aches, sore throat, fatigue) for a couple of days along with a dash of single parenting while Husband is off delivering a rescue dog.

    Fight is the wrong word. You can't fight a fever. You must surrender to it, so I did, and my children watched too much TV because I am a terrible mother, but sometimes I have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A healthy and delicious cole slaw.
    I hope you feel better soon and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo...hope you're on the mend very soon! So hard for Momma's to be sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks and I hope you feel better soon! I also hope doing NaBloPoMo this month ends with more positive memories for you, than stress from feeling compelled to participate. I am still so glad to be doing it with you this time around! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. I hate being sick. I love the vinegar and sesame oil dressing in this slaw... This is something I could eat right over a pile of brown rice (I'm weird that way). Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a cole slaw fan but that sounds yummy.

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart. You sound misserable. I hope you are feeling better.

    This is a great recipe and I love me some cole slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful summer treat. Putting the ingredients on my shopping list!

    Hope you're feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...